Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:35:38 -0500
From:      "Eric S. Nooden" <noodene@beloit.edu>
To:        Chen Xu <xu@stentor.bu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build custom kernel -- really strange

At 12:00 AM 10/16/98 -0700, Chen Xu wrote:
**SNIP**
>compiling messages
>*** Error code 1
>st.o: undefined symbol "_scsi_..." referenced from text segment
>cd.o: something similar to avove line
>dpt_scsi.o:
>if_cs.o:...
>
>stop.
>------------------
**SNIP**
>what's wrong with this and how to fix the problem?

>From my experience with customizing the kernel, you have to remove all
references to anything you remove.  For example:  I left in two devices
(SCSI cards, Adaptec) that were PCI (and I don't have a PCI bus) but I had
removed the PCI bus device.  Some where during 'make' I would get similar
errors...all referencing PCI.  Therefore, if you were to remove the
'controller  scbus 0' but still keep in other SCSI devices (i.e. sd0, st0,
cd0) you will run into problems.  It is ok to leave in devices and
controllers that you plan to add in the future (as long as they don't cause
conflicts) but if you disable a feature, make sure you remove any reference
to it.

As a side note, I will say that it took me several attempts to configure my
first kernel.  I tried to ask questions on the FreeBSD news group but I
never got an answer,  this list serve is definitely more helpful and
friendlier.  As a result of no help, I did find most of the answers to my
questions on the various FreeBSD pages (especially the BSD Usenet searcher).

Good luck,

Eric