Date:      11 May 2000 16:42:05 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Set a default route - with no broken bones

After grappling with the BSD OS for 2days now, I feel like I've been in
the ring with Tyson.  (I'll admit it hasn't bit me yet)

The ins and outs of using ifconfig are winning most rounds.  A few
simple examples would be nice in that man page.  Setting a default
route must be a common need with ifconfig.  I was unable to parse the
retoric and devine out actual syntax.

I vowed to capture the output of `ifconfig ed0' and `ifconfig dc0' (
two nics installed) and move the files  somewhere accessable, but
made the mistake of rebooting before I did that, now the kernel is
mislaid and no bootski.

But in short, I've used the /stand/sysinstall/ tool to access the
network setup and repeatedly set the default route there.

I've discovered if I shut down one interface, the other can ping
my static IP address, but not the gateway.  I'm on a dsl line, the
straigh ethernet kind.

Displaying the interfaces with ifconfig shows the numbers I've
installed repeatedly.  All look correct.

Once I've used fixit or whatever to get back inside I hope to post
some better info.