Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 09:49:23 -0400
From:      Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Brent Casavant <b.j.casavant@ieee.org>, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security Survey

--------------enig619E4558B422EB6C3AE4F158

On 05/22/06 05:40, Marian Hettwer wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
SD

>=20
> Like Scott pointed out below, stick with either building from source, o=
> using packages. Mixing them may have strange side effects.
> To give an example.
> I usually use portupgrade without using packages. But last time I neede=
> to update my ports (on a production server, though private not corporat=
> server), I used portupgrade -P (to use packages if available).
> It updated php, using packages, but unluckily the packages were built
> against apache13. I'm using apache20, so my php installation was
> trashed. Argh.
> But even more painful is the fact that portupgrade _always_ fails on
> some perl modules. Usually p5-XML-Parser. I don't know why, but it's
> annoying...

Dropping security@...

Odd, I just did a 'portupgrade -fm "-s" p5-XML-Parser' and it worked
fine.  Note that I included the '-m "-s"' because it sometimes causes
port build breakage for me (postfix comes to mind).  Perhaps a
'portupgrade -Rf p5-XML-Parser' is in order?  The only dependencies are
perl and expat, so a recursive rebuild shouldn't take too long.  My
persistent port build breakages (that weren't caused by an error in the
port) have always been resolved by rebuilding all dependencies or
removing '-m "-s"'.

-Jonathan

--=20
Jonathan Noack | noackjr@alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195