Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 11:47:15 +0200
From:      esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        mbailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR810 problem?

On Jun 19, 20:40, <mbailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu> wrote:
} I have had this error on the 810 every day since last wed when we started
} using the drivea little harder.. to bad no one will fix the broken code
} in the driver.

Too bad no one will fix the broken code in the driver ???

Yes, too bad indeed ... !

May I ask, when you first reported your problem ???

As many will know, I generally respond to bug reports the
same day, and often have a problem solved within hours.

But not if I never hear about it !

There seem to be a few people that don't only expect
their problem (most often with bad system setup or cheap
peripherals, that don't comply with SCSI as understood
by most other vendors) to be fixed immediately, but even
expect the authors of the code to ask them whether they
are fully satisfied each day.

This makes me consider dropping support of the NCR driver,
which I felt commited to. Such annoying behaviour has
already driven away Wolfgang Stanglmeier (we wrote the
NCR and PCI drivers in FreeBSD, in case you didn't know).

I'm doing this work in my spare time after a regular job.
I'd know better ways to spend my evenings than dealing with
people of your kind.
If YOU want me to look at your problem, YOU'll have to pay me,
while I'll be glad to continue to help anybody else out for
free, if they send a reasonable bug report and don't complain
as if I had broken an expensive support contract that they
paid for.

Don't drive me away like Wolfgang !
The NCR driver is a complex piece of software, which gives
very good performance using cheap but well designed hardware.
Look at the Linux NCR driver and its (lack of) features and
performance if you don't believe me.

STefan

--
 Stefan Esser				Internet:	<se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>
 Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen	Tel:		+49 221 4706017