Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:39:17 -0600
From:      James Gorham <james@veldt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help! IPFW Problems

--============_-1241902092==_ma============

Greetings.

I'm having quite a bit of trouble, and it seems to be related to IP
Divert and/or IP firewall.

A bit of background...

I compiled a custom kernel when I first installed FreeBSD, with:
options		IPDIVERT
options		IPFIREWALL

as the only custom options from the GENERIC config, other than some
custom screen colors.

I ran my local network of a FreeBSD machine acting as the gateway for
a single IP DSL connection to 2 macs on the LAN. It worked fine until
I decided to install netatalk.

I added the:
options		NETATALK
to the same kernel file I used originally, config'd the file, make
depend, make, and make install'd the kernel. Upon reboot I began
getting messages such as:
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
ifw: setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument

00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
ipfw: setsockop(IP_FW-AD): Invalid Argument

65000 allow ip from any to any
ipfw: setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument

during boot process. After booting, and logging in, all tcp/ip
functions were unavailble. Things like ping, would get:
sendto: Permission denied.

I tried removing the netatalk option from the Kernel file,
recompiling and installing, and STILL get the ipfw errors. I had the
following two lines in my rc.conf file:
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"

Originally (before the netatalk compile) these worked fine. If I
comment these two lines out now, I can do my TCP/IP functions, but I
cannot get any of the machines on the LAN on the internet, due to
natd not being enabled.

I gave up, and tried compiling the GENERIC kernel. After installing
this kernel, I still cannot leave the above two lines in my rc.conf
uncommented, or else I'll have no tcp/ip functions.

I've never touched the rc.firewall file, nor have I ever cvsup'd the
/usr/src directory. I've only updated the /usr/ports.

If you have any idea at all as to what I should do, please let me
know. I'm in dire need to get these machines back online.

Best regards,
james
--============_-1241902092==_ma============

IP Divert and/or IP firewall.</div>
with:</div>
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>IPDIVERT</div>
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>IPFIREWALL</div>
some custom screen colors.</div>
for a single IP DSL connection to 2 macs on the LAN. It worked fine
until I decided to install netatalk.</div>
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>NETATALK</div>
make depend, make, and make install'd the kernel. Upon reboot I began
getting messages such as:</div>
any to any via lo0<br>
ifw: setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument<br>
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8<br>
ipfw: setsockop(IP_FW-AD): Invalid Argument<br>
65000 allow ip from any to any<br>
ipfw: setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument</font></div>
functions were unavailble. Things like ping, would get:</div>
recompiling and installing, and STILL get the ipfw errors. I had the
following two lines in my rc.conf file:</div>
comment these two lines out now, I can do my TCP/IP functions, but I
cannot get any of the machines on the LAN on the internet, due to natd
not being enabled.</div>
installing this kernel, I still cannot leave the above two lines in my
rc.conf uncommented, or else I'll have no tcp/ip functions.</div>
the /usr/src directory. I've only updated the /usr/ports.</div>
know. I'm in dire need to get these machines back online.</div>