Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:02:08 -0700
From:      root <root@webserver.get-linux.org>
To:        andre thomasson <andre@krang.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User comments: ipfw or ipfilter.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:41:19PM +0200 or thereabouts, andre thomasson seemed to write:
> Hi all!
>
> Im new at this, and this is my first contribution to this great mailinglist. :-)
>
> My problem is that i really cant decide wich type of firewall i shall use, by reading this mailinglist, and the FreeBSD handbook i realize that Ipfw is some kind of defactostandard in the FreeBSD world.
>
> But in otherhand, friend?s to me is pointing that IPFILTER is a better choice.
> ( yes i know that it depends on my ruleset how secure the firewalls  will be )
> Im so confused, plese let me know your thoughts about this.

I have used both, and I must say that I definitely cast my vote for ipf.
It keeps state in a much better way than ipfw, in my opinion.
There are some great tutorials/example configs floating around on the 'net.

Hope this helps,
-- Josh