Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:22:47 +0100
From:      Rob <robert@irrelevant.com>
To:        Joao Barros <joaobarros@netcabo.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3b7 and ata raid1 - how?

At 12:18 20/10/2004, Joao Barros wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Your problem is that the controller is an entry level RAID controller.=20
>What you get with that controller is software RAID in certain=20
>enviroments(Windows)
>More info here: http://www.siliconimage.com/products/sii0680.asp
>Someone had already raised this question, you can check the solution(one=20
>possible) here:=20
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2003-November/005141.html
>
>Hope that helped :)
>
>Jo=E3o Barros.

hi there; thanks for the quick reply.

The page from the archive states to use atacontrol to set up the raid.  If=
=20
you check my question again, you will see that I have already tried this,=20
and although after creating ar0 with atacontrol it shows "ready" to=20
`atacontrol status ar0`, after a reboot it has vanished again.  There is=20
definitely a lack of persistence in settings from this command now.

While I appreciate that this is a cheap, software raid card, it HAS worked=
=20
with FreeBSD 4.10, and also with 5.2, as long as I did that initial=20
`atacontrol create RAID1 ad4 ad6`, so I presume something in ata or=20
atacontrol has changed recently - certainly it was very broken for 5.2.1,=20
not allowing me to even boot an installation CD, so I presume there has=20
been recent work in this area?

Thanks,

Rob