Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:47:18 -0700
From:      Matt Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Re: Finding the Right Sound Driver ...

Oops, forgot to CC this back to the list.

Subject: Re: Finding the Right Sound Driver ...
Date: Wednesday 27 October 2004 05:45
From: Matt Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
To: Siavash EDRISI <siavash@edrisi.com>

> Hi Matt!
>
> Sorry, if I am disturbing you again!
>
> I just wanted to send you the result of my trys! Well first I tried this:
>
>  # kldload snd_driver
>
> The contents of "/dev/sndstat" was then this:
>

>  # cat /dev/sndstat
>  FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>  Installed devices:
>  pcm0: <ESS Solo-1 (unknown vendor)> at io 0xd800,0xe000,0xe400 irq 5
> (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

Does sound work now? On my box the driver name showed up where yours says
"unknown vendor". I'm guessing that the snd_ess driver would be the right
one, though the man page doesn't list the chipsets it supports. Try adding
snd_ess_load="yes" to /boot/loader.conf (for FreeBSD 5.x) I can't remember
how to load a kernel module at boot on 4.x, you might be able to do it
in /etc/rc.conf but I'm not sure.

> Does this tell you anything? The sound card is an ESS 1869.
>
> Thanks

No problem. BTW in the future when you reply to emails from the list use
"Reply to All" or "Reply to List" if your mailer supports that. Odds are
you'll get a faster response that way.

> Sia

Matt
--
"We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming,
 and soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind