Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:52:12 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, mark@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing libmd with libcrypto [Was: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys md5.h src/lib/libmd Makefile md2.h md2c.c md4.h mdX.3 mdXhl.c ripemd.3 ripemd.h sha.3 sha.h]

-On [20010319 10:00], Peter Pentchev (roam@orbitel.bg) wrote:
>Okay, when you people are talking about replacing libmd with libcrypto,
>do you mean moving the additional functionality of libmd to libcrypto,
>or incorporating all the new and exciting functions into the OpenSSL
>source?

Using libcrypto what is now being linked to libmd.  I did this, based on
Mark's guidance a couple of weeks/months ago, and we didn't notice much
problems.  The only back then was that we weren't sure if SSL had md4 or
something old which libmd still had.
I remember Mark telling that that isn't an issue any more.

>If the former, that would be more or less easily achieved - as pointed
>out on -arch, libmd and libcrypto do seem to more or less share the basic
>hash routines, so adding the code would be a matter of moving the mdX*
>files from lib/libmd/ to secure/lib/libcrypto/ and adding them to
>the libcrypto build process.  This would still benefit from what this
>commit is about - adding still more functionality to extend the OpenSSL
>libraries.

No need to move files from libmd to libcrypto.  Libcrypto supports them
natively.

I already had a bunch of patches and Mark and me were discussing this
back and forth in private for a while, but I am currently
semi-out-of-business due to my primary machine at home having hardware
issues.  It will be replaced ASAP [when cash comes in again, this week
or next] and then I am going to continue this work.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai .oUo. asmodai@[wxs.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best