Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2013 00:48:03 -0700
From:      Tim Gustafson <tjg@ucsc.edu>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 5000 (should be 28)

Ok, so I think I have a little more of an idea as to what happened.

Apparently, when I did an "svn checkout" this evening, I grabbed
releng/9.1 rather than releng/8.4.  Apparently, that make
buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld also upgraded the
zpool for me, or something...I'm not sure what happened, but I *am*
sure I didn't type "zpool upgrade" at any point.  Is an automatic
zpool upgrade included in installkernel now?

So now I've got base/releng/9.1 revision number 253878 installed on
that machine, which apparently does support the 5000 zpool version,
but seems to somehow not have a compatible boot loader.

I'm feeling like "gpart bootcode" ought to fix this problem for me,
but I've tried several iterations of that without success.

For now, I'm booted off the 9.2-BETA CD in single user mode, and then
mounted my zpool and zfs file systems, and then ran "sh /etc/rc" by
hand, which started (almost) everything up for me.  My jails are
running, so my services are up, so I'm going to sleep on it.  I don't
have some commands like "ps" and "top" right now in the root OS (/dev
seems to be wedged), but at least I can poke around and look at some
files and see what happened, and then maybe fix it.

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg@ucsc.edu