Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:40:28 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XMMS Port Plays MP3 With Poor Quality?

I've been playing mp3 files on a Windows machine using Windows Media
Player and they've sounded just fine.  Then I decided to see how my
FBSD box would do.  It is a Pentium Pro 200 running 4.5-RELEASE and
current versions of X windows and Gnome.  I installed xmms from ports,
copied a few mp3s to the FBSD box, and played my first file through
the same headphones I'd used with the Windows machine.  The sound
quality was staticy and crackley, not the clear sound I got from the
Windows machine.

Thinking that maybe it was just a matter of the machine being
overloaded, I ran top to see the cpu usage.  It was sitting around 50%
so I don't think that was the problem.

Has anyone else experience similar problems?  Is there something I can
do/check to improve the sound quality?  Is there another port that
does a better job?  I picked xmms because I saw all the plugins for it
and assumed that it was the most popular and therefore, maybe the most
stable.

Thanks,

Drew

Thanks