Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:05:37 -0700
From:      Jon Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Linux threading model

Julian Elischer [julian@elischer.org] wrote :

> > > One exception is the use
> > > "futex" wakeup in order to improve thread joins: FreeBSD should
> > > look closely at this.
> >
> > "Futexes" are not new. We had this at Be, but we called them Bennaphores.
>

> after "Ben"?

Bennoit Schillings. He's french, so I'm probably spelling his last
name wrong. He came up with the idea, so we named it after him. It
addressed the very important issue that all semaphores in BeOS were
kernel semaphores (BeOS used 1:1 threading) and 99% of the time (or
worse) obtaining a semaphore didn't contend. So we wrapped the
kernel sems with an atomic int.

One nice thing about KSE is that all locking operations can be done
in userland, and it saves a lot of this mess.

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.freebsd.org/