Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2014 21:23:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Cc:        dteske@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   10.0-R memstick from DVD1 can't install packages (was: FreeBSD 10-RC1 ISO image too big)

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:17:55 -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
 > On 12/15/2013 9:34 PM, Ian Smith wrote:
 > > Or does someone have a working script to make a bootable memstick from
 > > our DVD images?
 >
 > Yes.  http://pastebin.com/fzgVaCgW
 >
 > It's derived from the scripts in src/release and probably only works for
 > amd64 and i386.

Well, that works great, thanks again Darren.  I had to modify it to make
bootable images from my old 8.2-R laptop, thus:

v=`uname -r`; v=${v%%.*}
if [ $v -ge 9 ]; then		# possibly naive, works on 9.1-R
        echo '/dev/ufs/FreeBSD_Install / ufs ro,noatime 1 1' > $4/etc/fstab
        makefs -B little -o label=FreeBSD_Install $3 $4
else
        #% no makefs label option @8.2-R; using /dev/da0a instead, ok(ish)
	echo "running on FreeBSD major version: $v .. must mount from /dev/da0a"
        echo '/dev/da0a / ufs ro,noatime 1 1' > $4/etc/fstab
        makefs -B little -o version=2 $3 $4
fi

Which worked fine to install first a lying-around 9.1-R i386 dvd1, then
the other day - having made its image on 9.1-R - 10.0-R amb64 base,
ports, src etc on my new Lenovo X200, once figuring out the vagaries of
the partitioning procedure.  The loss of sysinstall/sade's toggle newfs
option on partitions you DON'T want messed with, like /home, is sad :(

However, when it comes to either installing the docs or to running
bsdconfig to install packages, it doesn't work like a CD/DVD at all,
assuming somebody would have yelled if they'd had trouble installing
packages - when offline from the net - from the DVD?

All I tried to do (on the second attempt anyway) was install the Xorg
metaport, having chosen USB media - which I noticed from another VT was
mounted on /dist rw, no noatime, perhaps accounting for the memstick
being scribbled on at every attempt, only hundreds of bytes (says cmp)

What happens is - apparently - that pkg tries to update packages from
http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/digests.txz - NOT from
http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/release_0/All where the
packages ARE a superset of those on the dvd1 image - which fails, and
the attempted installation gets into an endless loop of failing 'unable
to fetch package XXX from selected media' for (eg) cairo-1.10.2_7,2
(where 1.10.2.6.2 is there), icu-52.1 (50.1.2 is there) and so on.

Moreover, only 'OK' is offered on these endless failure messages, so ^C
to entirely quit bsdconfig is the only way out.  Holding down Enter
through hundreds of these eventually gets a few deps installed (fwiw).

It also bangs on - when there's no net connection - 'pkg: PACKAGESITE in
pkg.conf is deprecated, please create a repository config file ..' but
clearly the 'proper' DVD must work without a net connection, so I'm
imagining there must be some specific tests for a CD or DVD mounted?

I learned a wee bit about pkg on the way, esp pkg delete -Df -a, which
then has pkg info requiring a bootstrap (needing net access) which I did
a couple of times before starting again with bsdconfig.  I tried mount
-u -r /dist after entering the packages menu and selecting USB media but
that's too late, and without a net connection pkg just hangs waiting.

Perhaps all this has disturbed the as-shipped pkg-static setup?  I'd
rather put things right if possible rather than start a fresh install.

Selecting UFS partition media only offers the existing partitions on
ada0, ignoring /dev/da0a whether mounted or not, so that's also out.

Anyone (Devin?) have a clue what's going on here, and how to fix it?  I
don't mind trying to patch anything extracted from the dvd1 image to the
memstick work area before the makefs, if that might help.

I can't see why bsdconfig - don't know about bsdinstall - wants to mount
ANY package installation media other than RO (or at least, noatime)?

I have more data to hand than would be wise to add here at this stage.

cheers, Ian