Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:44:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      spam maps <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Protecting SSH from brute force attacks

Vulpes Velox wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:15:25 -0700 (PDT)
> Luke <luked@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>There are several script kiddies out there hitting
>>my SSH server every day.  Sometimes they attempt
>>to brute-force their way in
>
> man login.conf for more info :)

I'm just guessing, but are you trying to tell me
that "login-retries" in login.conf is useful?

I have tried that by setting it to 2, but it seems
to have no effect on the sshd login behaviour.
I always can try the password 6 times:

  $ ssh myname@my.own.pc
  Password:
  Password:
  Password:
  myname@my.own.pc's password:
  Permission denied, please try again.
  myname@my.own.pc's password:
  Permission denied, please try again.
  myname@my.own.pc's password:
  Permission denied
  (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
  $

So could you be a little more specific as to
where login.conf is of help here?

Thanks,
Rob.