Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:30:59 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Suggestion for somebody with a 16MB testbox

I just got some totally wild times for compiling a Linux kernel under
Linux on a 16MB machine (3 hours for a plain kernel compile).  This
sounds like a totally screwed up VM system.

Now, for kicks, it would be neat to have measurements on how much time
it takes to compile the Linux kernel on emulation under FreeBSD
compared to on a true Linux.  If somebody has a scratchbox with that
little memory (and I don't - I've not even got any small enough SIMMs
to make one), this'd be a neat experiment to run:

1. Install Linux on scratchbox.
2. Set up kernel sources and configure kernel.
3. tar down entire tree and copy somewhere more permanent.
4. time a Linux kernel compile from the tree on the scratchbox.
5. install FreeBSD on scratchbox.
6. run a compile of the same kernel tree in /compat/linux on the
   scratchbox.

I think we'll come out WAY ahead :-)

Eivind.