Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:02:58 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Failure Mode in FreeBSD 4.11

fbsd_user wrote:
> The firewall section of the handbook states that the
> rc.firewall file is an example.
> You really should read the firewall section of the handbook
> and use the working examples contained there.

Oh, most definitely yes. I was assuming Martin (the OP) knew this
since he clearly had gone to the trouble of writing custom rules,
and that the problem was just one of successful integration. I only
use the stock rc.firewall for basic testing, training and POC work,
otherwise I do something like this:

> cp rc.firewall custom.ipfw, edit to your needs and use
> firewall_type="/etc/custom.ipfw"

And having glanced at the handbook just now, I believe that I
flubbed that assertion above, and the proper use is

firewall_script="/etc/custom.ipfw"

with firewall_type being used to select from within a multi-mode
case structure such as rc.firewall has. Sorry, it's been a long
while since I actually edited any part of my firewall rules (love
that FreeBSD stability ;).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348