Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 12:35:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP! GEOM as default in 5 days... GEOM does not find da0a; goes to rootmount>

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20021005081850.zmEf69968@hun.org>, Daniel Flickinger writes:
>
> >    I will note that my loader is dated 27 Sep since there
> >    has not been an even close to complete buildworld since
> >    then;
>
> Something in your tree is not OK then, because I have compiled
> buildworld many times since the 27th, last time just a few
> hours ago:
>
> cd /bang/src && make  buildworld TARGET_ARCH=i386  __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null \
> 	 > _.i386.buildworld 2>&1
> >> i386 buildworld ended on Sat Oct  5 07:31:09 GMT 2002
>

> The problem with the floppy drive is interesting, I guess it means
> that the SCSI "da" driver return EBUSY to mean "no media" rather
> than ENXIO as it should.

No, it returns ENXIO.  For a details, see sys/cam/scsi/scsi_all.c:

/* DTL WRSOM    */{SST(0x3A, 0x00, SS_FATAL|ENXIO,
                        "Medium not present") },
/* DT  WR OM    */{SST(0x3A, 0x01, SS_FATAL|ENXIO,
                        "Medium not present - tray closed") },
/* DT  WR OM    */{SST(0x3A, 0x02, SS_FATAL|ENXIO,
                        "Medium not present - tray open") },

Does your system work without the Zip drive plugged in?

-Nate