Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 14:23:55 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It isn't easy being "green"...

[ Reduced the CC list to -hardware ]

> By the way, "Nate and the Nomads" is a cool name. What is the status on
> their APM code?

APM suspend/resume works on some machines in both -stable and -current.
However, folks are having a difficult time getting updated to -stable
and -current because of instabilities and other problems, so it's
difficult to know which machines work and which don't.

I've got a pretty significant change I want to make to the statclock()
code to get suspend/resume working on my box, but it affects some
library routines and how the machines does scheduling and other resource
accounting, so I'm not yet sure how to proceed.

None of the code has dealt with the issue of spindown/spinup of the
harddisk, which still tends to lockup my machine randomly due to missing
interrupts when it tries to resume, but for now I'm ignoring the issue.

The new 'freebsd-mobile' list has been setup (but not used as of yet) to
discuss these issues, but I have been on a 2 week business trip and I
haven't had any time to mess with either the code or the documentations
like I had hoped.

Finally, my .02 on the issue of the 'disable' spindown code is that we
shouldn't spend our time on it.  It woudl be better to provide the
correct solution and fix the WD to handle timeouts better.  The work
required to do turn-off green mode will mean constant maintenance and
will help but a few machines, while fixing the WD driver will work
reliably on all machines.

Nate