Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:27:55 -0500
From:      Dexter McNeil <dexter@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Any voice mail or smart answering machine packages for FreeBSD?

Hi,
	Does anyone know of any sort of smart/scriptable/configurable voice
mail or answering machine package for FreeBSD? Preferably something that
uses the voice features of one of the current generation modems? I know
about vgetty, but I'm looking for something a little more current (seems
as though vgetty development stopped in 1996?). A partial feature wish
list includes:

	Support for Caller ID - change outgoing message/system script based on
caller's phone number.

	Scriptable prompt/response/message file playback.

	Get touch tone responses from caller and pass back to script file.

	Ability to fork other jobs/call other shell/perl scripts.

	Runs under FreeBSD or Linux emulation on FreeBSD.

	Interfaces with Qpage for pager notification of message, caller, etc.

	I was going to start work on something like this about 18 months ago
using a Talking Technologies PowerLine II board, but alas the company has
gone out of business, so I'm not really wanting to write for orphan
hardware. Given the capabilities of the current generation of
Rockwell/Lucent based modems, I _should_ be able to do all of this with a
current generation modem. And since I suffer from the usual 'too many
projects, too little time' problem, I'm really hoping that something like
this exists already.

	All pointers (except for null) appreciated!

	Cheers,
	Dexter McNeil
	dexter@panix.com