Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 2020 17:07:13 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How do I permanently disable a kernel module?

I have an old laptop (HP Stream 13) that runs FreeBSD perfectly apart
from the Bluetooth module ng_ubt. That loads automatically because of
the hardware, but produces an endless stream of "interrupt transfer
failed" kernel console messages which makes the machine unusable. I've
temporarily renamed the kernel module to prevent it loading, but as I
run GENERIC and use freebsd-update that will get undone the next time I
update. I don't want to have to run a custom kernel if I can avoid it.

I believe device.hints(5) should let me disable it, but I can't find any
detailed documentation on how to do that. I've tried both

hint.ng_ubt.*.disable="1"

and

hint.ubt.*.disable="1"

but neither prevents ng_ubt from loading and causing the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try next?

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.