Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 1996 04:23:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Darrel Herbst)
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3c5X9 working?

> On 09-Mar-96 "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:
> >>Are any of you having problems with 3c509 or 3c579 cards in current?
>
> Seems to be stable as a rock right now. I tested the card under all
> possible network conditions (except probably multicast and IPX) and everything
> works fine.

I'm having trouble with multicasting on the 3c509.  The -current
driver just sort of lets you set yourself in the multicast group, but
doesn't seem to tell the arp tables that the multicast ip should be
treated as a multicast ip.  Hence, I get "host down" errors when I try
and send multicast udp packets out and the arp timer goes off on my
multicast ip address.  I tried to look at the way if_ed.c handles
this, but my changes didn't solve the problem.

I don't think this affects the stability of the driver, but the
functionality is incorrect, isn't it?  I mean, you shouldn't send arp
packets on a multicast address, should you?