Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2021 16:44:25 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Marcin Wojtas <mw@semihalf.com>
Cc:        =?utf-8?Q?Klaus_K=C3=BCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

[Sorry for the accidental send of an reply I'd
not started to edit yet.]

<freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Anyone successfully booting from nvme on any aarch64-board ??
>>=20
>> As reported on the list earlier, I plugged a Optane 480 GiByte
>> into a MACCHIATObin Double Shot's PCIe in a system that's microsd
>> card had the EDK2-variant build from:
>>=20
>> =
https://unrelentingtech.s3.dualstack.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/flash-image-2=
020-07-01-mainline-tfa.bin
>>=20
>> and the system just worked (/dev/nda0). I updated the FreeBSD in
>> this configuration and that booted too.
>>=20
>> (The Optane was originally initialized while in a amd64 system
>> and so was boot-ready when first plugged into an aarch64.)
>>=20
>> This is not the MACCHIATObin's normal configuration and things
>> were put back to normal after the experiment.
>>=20
>> The MACCHIATObin Double Shot has 4 Cortex-A72 cores.
>>=20
>=20
> MacchiatoBin has fully opensource firmware, with the mainline
> edk2/TF-A one can boot FreeBSD with DT or ACPI. The referenced image
> from Greg should also be fine. The only significant interface missing
> is the built-in PP2 NIC.

My memory was that there was some issue of "legacy"
PCIe devices showing up as duplicated and some change
was put in that avoided that --but prevented "modern"
PCIe devices from working. As I remember, disabling
the change was one reason Greg created his variant:
upstream choose which type of devices it wanted to
support and Greg went the other way. (No one has
support covering both contexts on the MACCHIATObin
Double Short?)

Looking, there was a Greg edk2-platforms update
called "remove ECAM shift" that seems to be
involved with that area. (Also, removal of a
headless flag in FADT and adding 3 PCIe defines
and some MDEPKG_NDEBUG #if changes and having
some CLANG DLINK flags. My context was still
actually headless but I noticed no problems
from that.)

There were also edk2 additions of 3 lines
involving something like:

MdeModulePkg/Bus/Pci/NvmExpressDxe/NvmExpressDxe.inf

plus some other stuff that might be for other
issues. More enabling of clang use as well.

I've not tested a mainline build to check on the
status of such things. But back on 2020-Jul-01
when the commits were made, Greg appearently
throught that they were necessary to get his
context to work. (My test context seemed to be
covered as well but I did not prove Greg's
variation was necessary for coverage.)

> EspressoBin (and Armada 3720 in general) is very well supported -
> apart from PCIE, everything should work.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went