Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:54:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump and ssh

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Nick Rogness wrote:

> > restoring from.  If you just want to grap the already dumped file >
> > and not restore:

> >                                          ^^^^^^^
> > Why the gratuitous cat(1)?
>
> 	Easier to follow...or maybe not.  It is not needed but I was going
> 	off of your post which used |restore...

Okay, wait, so if...

# ssh -luser remotehost "cat dump_file.dmp" | restore -[irRtx]f -

(the original reply) would restore the dump on the (let's call it the
backup server, a big thing with a raid 5 array and a DLT drive), what
would be the syntax to restore on the local host (sadly, a cobalt raq3
running linux, several of these things, which have small hard drives,
are backed up daily to the backup server).

(Assume for a moment that I don't have the space to keep a full restore
file on the disk _AND_ do the restore.)

I've tried doing an NFS mount, but that's out of the question (I hate
cobalts, they can only mount linux partitions).

I just noticed something....

Would:

ssh -luser remotehost "cat dump_file.dmp | restore -[irRtx]f -"

actually be the command to do the restore on the backup server, and then
the original reply is right? (note the location of quotes)?

-Dan

--

"There were some sensible, rational, and intelligent things to say.  It's
just that it was the last thing I expected to hear from the damn

-Saravit, December 27, 1997