Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:00:10 +0800
From:      gwzhao@multiwave.com.sg (Gorton Zhao Guo Wei)
To:        <groggy@iname.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: A couple of questions to FreeBSD

I thank you and all people who responded my queries over the
internet.

I actually have the FreeBSD 2.2.6 with me, but I feel that it
is hard to change those people's mind who use MS stuffs every
day. It is needed to have a set of programs that make it transparent to
end-user if use a FreeBSD as a backbone to PC
office users. I mean that if use FreeBSD replace MS backoffice,
the PC user at the net must be still able to use their favor MS
stuffs, such as mail, database. This is the point of business
view, not of technique view. Are there any tools that provide
link from FreeBSD to MS? I would appreciate any suggestions on
this.

Again thank you.

Regards,
Gorton Zhao.

> 3 -- I have a Microsoft backoffice small business server.

that's too bad.  very expensive.  and a kludge at that.

 Can I have a list of FreeBSD software which has the similar
 functionality to MS Proxy server, MS SQL server, MS fax server
 and MS Exchange server. I want to compare FreeBSD against MS
 backoffice small business server. I would like have your opinion of this.

that would be a silly thing to do, like comparing apples
and oranges.  the appropriate thing to compare is your
skillset.  anyone with the appropriate skills would
definitely choose UN*X.  MS is only for those that
max out their intelligence on setup wizards.

> 4 -- Is it possible for FreeBSD to use as a router?

yes.  but seeing that most of your experience is with
MS, you will have a long learning curve ahead before
you can fufill your desires.

> Thank you.

thank you.  but don't expect to set it all up
within a week or two.  you will be able to do it
in a day once you know what your doing and have
a handy set of config files prepared.  it's kind
of like a "pay now by learning UN*X, or pay much
more later using MS" kind of thing.