Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:21:23 +0100
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Zeo Smeijsters <Zeo@Zaleo.nl>, Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus A7V and Realtek

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 02:05:50PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 05:30:43PM +0200, Zeo Smeijsters wrote:
> > 	I have a running FreeBSD ver. 4.2 on my Asus A7V Mobo.
> > Everything works fine, now I'm ready to connect my FreeBSD System to the
> > network. Want to make a Samba File server and Nat DialUp server from it.
> >
> > Normally (on my work) the Realtek NIC automatic shows up in the network
> > setup from /stand/sysinstall. But not this time, the only difference is
> > that I'm using an AMD system this time.
>
> My A7V's BIOS gave me the worst trouble of any MB since before there
> were onboard battery backed BIOS config utilities. Its fool default
> concept of PCI resource allocation worked in NT4, barely. Gave FreeBSD
> fits.
>
> Start by disabling "PnP Operating System" in the BIOS. If that's not
> enough start manually allocating PCI resources and interupts to your
> slots.

Actually, I've just tried installing a realtek card today on my A7V
and it didn't show up at all despite being compiled into the kernel,
I could only get it to show up after running ifconfig rl0 as root
which caused the kernel to detect the card at last (until I get
a "proper" card I've added ifconfig >/dev/null rl0 to early in
rc.network :)

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
"Why do I get this urge to go bowling everytime I see Tux?"