Date:      Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:08:32 +0400
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
To:        Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which MySQL version best to use and with/without linux threads?

On 9/30/05, Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a MySQL 4.0.16 DB running with several DB instances in it. So
> far, so good, but I'm looking for a bit of advice.
>
> I've got a few small questions:
>
> Firstly: is it (for a webserver) better to compile MySQL with
> linux-threads or without? I seem to recall having read that Linux uses a
> better threading mechanism, and that MySQL really benefits from this...
> What do you all think?
>
> Then, I'm currently configuring a second beast, eehhhh, server. :)
> Being an AMD-64 19" server, running FreeBSD 5.4-Release AMD64. On it, I
> instinctively installed the latest MySQL 4.0.x version (being 4.0.26)
> and it works flawlessly with the data from my current production machine.
>
> Still so far, so good. :)
>
> However... I was wondering what the advantages (and potential
> disadvantages!) may be of using a newer line of the MySQL DB.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the advantages/pitfalls may be of using v4.1.x
> or even v5, over using 4.0.x ?
>
> A year or two ago I installed a 4.1.x version and there were some issues
> then with using the passwords, coming from a 3.23.x or 4.0.x one. I
> don't remember the details, but it had something to do with that...
>
> Any advice is more than welcome, as this is the moment for me to make
> this sort of decicion, and I'd like to do so based on real user's
> experiences...:)
>
> Thank you kindly in advance, and with kind regards,
> Olaf Greve
rg"

I'm not a very experienced MySQL user, but in
the absence of a better reply, here it goes.

linuxthreads were only important on FreeBSD 4.x.
Starting with 5.x we have a more efficient threading
model. Extensive testing did not reveal any significant
performance increase with MySQL compiled with
linuxthreads on FreeBSD 5.x. You'd better forget
about linuxthreads for good.

As for the MySQL version (branch) - the only
difference you should care about is feature set.
If you feel comfortable without triggers and
stored procedures (their absence makes
many professional MSSQL/Oracle/Postgres
users frown upon MySQL) you shouldn't be
looking at MySQL 5.0 for at least another
half a year. As for 4.1/4.0 - you should probably
stick to 4.0 on your mission-critical servers,
but certainly try 4.1 on your production, but
not so critical servers.

Cheerz,
Andrew P.