Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:07:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, testing@tourneyland.com
Subject:   Re: Newbie: Sendmail doesn't work (how vague is that)

>Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:16:35 -0500
>From: testing@tourneyland.com

>I just installed FreeBSD, on a machine I want to be a web & mail server. A
>friend actually did most of the install, which included sendmail....

>...This seems weird, but I read in a book on Unix
>S-A I bought that there's a file called sendmail.cw I think, that's the
>list of supported hosts. That file doesn't exist. Is that my problem?

That could certainly contribute to your problem, if you have a network
configuration sufficiently complicated to warrant its use.

>I apologize if this is a mind-numbingly simple question - I'm a programmer,
>but I know NOTHING about Unix, not even Linux (well I had it installed for
>a few hours but that's it). I've been reading the BSD Handbook and my Unix
>book but I couldn't find anything quite this simple. There's a lot of
>encouragement to get the O'Reilly sendmail book, but I'm a bit spent out
>for this month.

Well, there's a lot of information at http://www.sendmail.org/, as well
as in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README.

But for a simple first-time setup, my expectation is that there's an
inconsistency in the hostname & IP address, or perhaps DNS isn't set up
so that it works.  (Getting sendmail to work is significantly easier
once DNS is set up.)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915