Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:55:16 -0800
From:      "David J. Weller-Fahy" <dave-lists-freebsd-questions@weller-fahy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: md5 giving inconsistent results

* David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-freebsd-questions@weller-fahy.com> [2004-10-14 10:57 -0800]:
> * Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> [2004-10-14 10:49 -0800]:
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 06:01:37AM -0800, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:
> > > I just installed 5.2.1-RELEASE on a RAID1 setup (atacontrol using
> > > Sil0680 chipset), and was in the process of transfering files from my
> > > old server.  However, I'm having an issue with the md5 sum of a file.
> > > Here's my uname -a:
> > >
> > > FreeBSD tigger.weller-fahy.com 5.2.1-RELEASE-p11
> > > FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p11 #0: Thu Oct 14 00:17:32 CEST 2004
> > > root@tigger.weller-fahy.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> >
> > Can you retry with 5.3?  There might have been driver problems in
> > 5.2.1 which cause the data corruption.
>
> Sure, but it'll have to wait until this weekend.  I'll repost when I get
> it installed, etc.  If not by this weekend, then it'll have to wait
> until next weekend.

Ok, after more experimentation, here are some results:

With no RAID1 5.2.1 and 5.3b7 both produce consistent md5 sums of the
file (that is, with a small installation on one of the hard drives).
With RAID1 setup using atacontrol following the instructions on
<http://www.techno-obscura.com/~delgado/notes/fbsd-ich5SATAraid.html>;
both 5.2.1 and 5.3b7 produce inconsistent md5 sums of the file on
consecutive runs.  Further, it may be related to the size of the file,
as in 5.3b7 (I haven't tried this with 5.2.1 yet) performing md5 sums of
the dot-files in my home directory produced consistent results.

I'll be installing the server using only one hard drive, with the second
as one big partition used to hold backups, but I'd like to be able to
install with all partitions on a RAID1 setup.  So, any suggestions on
where to go from here?

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]