Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:54:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        pgl@ti.cz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm0

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 pgl@moo.terminal.cz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the help. However :
>
> 1) I've fixed it now already, another way
>
> 2) I don't understand how removing the if or fi lines from MAKEDEV will
> change anything?

If you say

./MAKEDEV snd1

with the if check in there, it won't create the /dev/audio symlink.  It's
a holdover from the VoxWare days.  The usual symptom of this is getting
the message

pcm0 not configured:  perhaps you mean pcm1?

(or something very similar).

Removing the if check makes it work as it should.

Doug White