Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:53:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port to package amd64 to i386

--------------enig1132A294D9A53888E38C5AB8

On 05/03/2012 16:42, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>=20
> Thank you for the pointer. I do find it a bit overkill to setup jails
> and such, just to build a few ports. I was thinking more along the line=
 of;
>=20
> cd /usr/ports/"random port"
>=20
> make "it for i386 even if we are building it on amd64, ooh by the way
> build it as a package, and all dependencies as packages as well"
>=20
> Oh man, man ports. But I do not find the flag
> -build-for-another-system-cpu-whatever
>=20
> Can the ports system be (ab)used in that way?

In general, no.  There may be some ports that you could cross-compile,
but that depends on the upstream software having support for cross
compilation (basically allowing "--target foo" into the compilation
flags.) Even if you fix that you're going to run into difficulties as
soon as you try and compile a port that depends on shared libraries from
another port.  I don't think there's any mechanism for installing 32-bit
shlibs into ${LOCALBASE}/lib32 from packages.

Oh, and making packages is potentially a mine field, as you need to
install the port in order to package it.

About the only way to cross-build ports is to set up a 32-bit jail on a
64-bit host.  I believe that is do-able, but I could be delusional.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3