Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2008 12:43:02 +0100
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        underligast <underligast@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM eServer x225 - LSI 1030 SCSI - BTX Halted / infinite loop - Need help booting recompiled kernel so i can install

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 7.0 on my IBM eServer x225 (8647-5CG)
> (1x Xeon 2.8GHz(512KB), 2x 2048MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (ecc), 2x 74GB 10K rpm
> U320 HDD, Ultra320 SCSI LSI 1030 controller, 48x CD-ROM, Broadcom NetXtreme
> 10/100/1000 Integrated Ethernet, ATI Rage XL)

> Then it stops.
> If i remove both the harddrives i can boot into the freebsd installer,
> but as there are no drives, there is nowhere to install.

> What i need to know is how to compile a different kernel, where do i find
> drivers for the LSI 1030 SCSI-controller? What i see in the old kernel.conf
> for freebsd 6.0 (or is it 6.2) contains
> device          mpt             # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
> device          mfi             # LSI MegaRAID SAS

If disconnecting the SCSI drives fixes the problem, I'd guess that you
already have a device driver for the SCSI-controller, but it has a problem.
You can look into debugging the driver, or you can use a different
controller (e.g. PATA/SATA/Firewire/USB or a different SCSI controller)

Is 1030 short for 53c1030 ?  The 7.0 mpt(4) man page lists
"LSI Logic 53c1030, LSI Logic LSI2x320-X (Single and Dual Ultra320 SCSI)"
as being supported.

> I have no idea what they are but SAS is serial attached sata isn't it?

serial attached scsi

> And
> if they're uncommented it should mean that they're active and that they're
> most likely actually already running in the kernel i'm trying to boot from
> the installation cd?

yes

> Can i get other drivers/modules or whatever they're
> called?

You can uncomment additional drivers and build a new kernel.
Or you can load additional drivers after booting with the
kldload(8) command (man kldload).  Obviously kldload is
not useful for drivers that are needed to boot.  But if
you install to SATA (or whatever), you could boot from
SATA and then kldload a custom driver for the LSI 1030 with
extra debugging printfs.