Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:35:54 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   slice and partition layouts

I'm trying to find in depth info about the proper way to layout drives,
slices, partions, filesystems, FHS in unix land, also in relation to
server role types.

I've read Chapters 2 and 3 from the FreeBSD Handbook and Chapter 16,
from Absolute BSD but they seem to be lacking the detailed info I'm
looking for.

Basicly I need to know where the heck I put the 25gigs of data thats on
are old NT server on are new FreeBSD server, In windows I'd just partion
a drive in two (Drives C: and D:) C: for for OS and Programs and D: for
Data but in unix the layout is hierarchical and data is stored all over
the place (/home, /usr, /var)?

/Nikolas