Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:31:17 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: /dev/dsp is easter-eggy on FreeBSD 4.5

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 02:50:53AM -0500, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> Somehow, "wavplay *.wav" started actually working (but I can't adjust the
> volume through software).  By the same token, wavrec seems to work but I
> don't yet know how to specify what input the sound driver should use for
> recording.  I got curious and did "man pcm" to see if any relevant answers
> were in there, and saw something called /dev/dsp at the end of the man
> page.  I got even more curious and ran "cat /dev/dsp" and got a streaming
> infinite string of hearts and happy-faces :)

You're reading from the microphone device on your soundcard, and it's
presumably spitting out mostly 1, 2, and 3 values, which correspond to
black smiley face, white smiley face and heart in the default console
font.  You can also produce these at the login prompt on a vty by
entering ASCII characters 1, 2, 3 (a.k.a ^A, ^B, ^C)..the other
"unprintable" (control) ASCII characters also have some amusing
symbols in this font.

Kris

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe--