Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 1999 22:16:16 -0400
From:      "Donald R. Tyson" <tyson@alumni.stanford.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No IDE CD-ROM support in recompiled kernel

I just know I'm missing something really basic here, but would
appreciate any hints you might have.  I recompiled my
2.2.8-RELEASE GENERIC kernel, and while I've reduced the kernel size
in half, and shortened the time from boot prompt to login prompt, I
cannot seem to get cdrom support in my recompiled kernel.
(The GENERIC kernel, which I configured using the visual
configuration tool at time of first install,
has cdrom support and works fine.)

I have an ATAPI cdrom;  I have device wcd0 in my new kernel
(HOMEBASE);  I have options ATAPI and ATAPI_STATIC enabled.  What
am I missing?  I do not have any SCSI controllers.  The options
"CD9660" line is enabled.  I have, I
believe, included all the controllers and devices as set out in
the handbook;  a search of the mailing list archives seems so
focus more on the addition of IDE CD-ROM support to the kernel
four years ago rather than any current problems.

Other than the lines which identify the kernel and reflect
increased available memory for the recompiled kernel, dmesg
output for the GENERIC kernel and the HOMEBASE kernel are
identical, except that GENERIC has the following three lines
reflecting cd-rom support and HOMEBASE does not:

wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <CRD-8160B/1.04>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
wcd0: 2734KB/sec, 128KB cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked, lock protected

The following lines from the configuration file are identical in
GENERIC and HOMEBASE:

options		ATAPI		#Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options		ATAPI_STATIC	#Don't do it as an LKM
device		wcd0		#IDE CD-ROM

Don Tyson