Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:33:50 -0500
From:      Eric Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        "James A. Coulter" <james.coulter@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEWBIE: Logging into Cox Cable service

On Sunday 11 July 2004 10:10, you wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 4.10 and am trying to connect to my Cox ISP via a an
> Ethernet nic and cable modem.
>
> I have DHCP for the nic enabled in /etc/rc.conf and can obtain an IP
> address from my Windows 98 gateway, but when I connect the nic to the cab=
le
> modem and reboot I do not get a response from the cox DHCP server.
>
> The nic shows active in ifconfig, but no IP is assigned to it.
>
> I suspect the Cox DHCP server is expecting a username and password from
> dhclient.conf
>
> I googled and the closest answer I found was a short article in the FreeB=
SD
> Diary published in 2000 that gave this as an example dhclient.conf:
>
> interface "de0" {
> send host-name "cr123456-a";
> request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers,
> domain-name, time-servers;
> require domain-name-servers;
> }
>
> I tried substituting my own interface and looked up the hostname info cox
> provided to my Windows 98 box and swapped the computer names, but no luck.
>
> Is my hunch correct?  When I set up my Windows boxes to connect to Cox wi=
th
> their CD, it always asked for the main account username and password =96 =
so
> I=92m guessing when the dhcp client sends out its request for an address,=
 the
> Cox DHCP server is expecting a username and password.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to send the username and password?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jim C.

Jim,

Many cable providers require that you register the MAC address of the NIC=20
interfaces you connect to their cable modems.  Many used to do this, and ha=
ve=20
gotten away from it, as it causes problems such that you're experiencing no=
w. =20
When you had your service installed, did the service just work, or did you=
=20
have to go to a web page and type some things in, first? =20

I know that if you use an internet gateway device, such as a Linksys model,=
=20
they usually have a feature called MAC Address Cloning to defeat this. =20

To confirm this is your issue, try swapping network cards between the=20
computers.  You should find that you're now able to obtain an IP address.

HTH
=2D-=20
Eric F Crist

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry, and the world WILL turn.