Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 19:05:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: showing full host names in output from who/finger/last

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Rahul Dhesi wrote:

> For some years I have been using patched utilities under SunOS to show
> full host names in the output from the 'who', 'finger', and 'last'
> commands.  (Traditional UNIXes truncate host names to about 16
> characters.)
>
> I have been thinking of patching FreeBSD programs to do the same, but
> since I have been updating my source tree often, it will be a bit
> painful to maintain my changes through the updates.  So I will do it
> only if the FreeBSD developers would be willing to incorporate my
> changes into the official FreeBSD source tree.  Below is what I would
> do -- tell me if it could be make a part of FreeBSD.
>
> - Update all programs that write to utmp and wtmp to check the host name
>   length, and if it's too long, insert the IP address instead

Hi there.

I'd actually like to see wtmp only use IP addresses, never hostnames.
Spoofed names are fairly easy to arrange; with IP filtering on border
routers, spoofed IPs are harder.  Besides which, connections are from IPs
and not names.  :-)  This of course sticks you with the task of DNS
lookups when viewing wtmp, when you may already have done them at login
time.  Probably ideally, we'd have two variable length fields, one for a
network-supplied source, and one for a transformed source such as name,
display name (....:0), etc.  But that requires modifying the record
format, which is always a pain.

I got sick of seing "invalid hostname" in my wtmps a while ago on my 2.x
machines.  That is an exceptionally useless piece of behavior, if you ask
me.  Sshd writes out IPs and I find that to be much more consistent (and
useful).

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/