Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:07:51 -0800
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: checking KDE2 again..

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > You know, I'm having the same exact problem.  I just got done install=
ing
> > FreeBSD 4.2 and installed KDE 2.0 via the packages system.  (I too co=
uld
> > never get the ports to compile correctly)  It seems that the logout
> > buttons don't work at all.  It's kind of annoying having to kill the =
> > server in order to get out of KDE.  I guess that's what happens when
> > running "made for Linux" software.
>
> I'm running KDE-2 just fine. They just fixed kscd so that I can play
> my audio CD's. If you are having problems, something in the your
> dependancy tree isn't built right. You have to have removed qt and all
> of the KDE1 stuff. The other ports in the dependancy list also have to
> be current. Then it will take a few hours to build but it works just
> fine.
>
> Kent

So you're saying that it's better to install KDE from the ports collectio=
n=20
rather than using /stand/sysinstall and installing the pre-compiled packa=
ges?=20
 I installed the pre-compiled stuff and I'm having the logout problems. =20
Other than that it seems to work fine so far.  I think even the artsd sou=
nd=20
server starts up which actually didn't at first for some reason.  Maybe t=
hey=20
still have some kinks to work out.=20

Joey