Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:32:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind8.2.3 and installation problem

Mehmet Hinc <marduk@pozitif.net> wrote:
> Stop in /usr/ports/net/bind8.
> *** Error code 1
>
> What ??????????? Why??????????? I updated my ports and tried to install
> bind8.2.3 because bind8.2.2 has had a vulnerability , so While I was
> installing it, I had a error msgs. (in the up)
> please let me know How can I fix it !!!

Bind was written on BSD.  What's the point of using a port to
upgrade it?  All FreeBSD's bind port does is increase your chances
of errors, reduce your system's overall QA, and install duplicate
files in non-standard places.  The following steps have worked
flawlessly over this and several bind upgrades:

  cd /tmp
  fetch ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.3/bind-src.tar.gz
  tar xzvf bind-src.tar.gz
  cd src
  make install
  killall named