Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 16:22:17 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Brian Lofton <lofton@okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fdisk partition labeler

Brian Lofton wrote:

> I need some help.  Skipping the hardware configuration portion of the
> installation, I am confused as to how and where my BSD slice should
> go.  I have a 6.4 gig hard drive, and I am running Windows 95.  I have
> windows installed on the primary partition, the first 2 gigs, then I
> have 3 logical partitions.  I was intending the last partition to be
> the one I installed BSD on, which contains about 1 gig.

	A DOS style fdisk (which is what freebsd uses so it stays compatible
with your other operating systems) looks at all logical drives as one
big partition (or one big slice to use the freebsd term). Therefore you
can't install freebsd into just one logical drive, the only way to deal
with that situation is to delete all of the logical drives, create the
space you want for FreeBSD and then recreate the logical drives (using
DOS fdisk). Of course, this will mean losing any data on your logical
drives, so make sure you have backups of that info. In fact, you will
probably want to have backups of anything that's important on the disk
including the C partition.

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet