Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 02:39:00 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdougall@ameritech.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Atlas II firmware of death

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:26:46 -0400, Adam McDougall
<mcdougall@ameritech.net> wrote:

>> This looks like an "Atlas II firmware of death" problem
>
>I've tried many many times to update it, making sure im terminated
>correctly etc. I am using a sca to 68 pin converter on the atlas II,  I
>hope that isn't causing any bother with this; Any time I'd attempt to
>update the firmware with either qshrldr or the other more fancy menuized
>program (both for dos) my drive would act like the power had been
>breifly lost, and go through the noises it makes during poweron.  I've
>called Quantum about it and they basically can't offer help

Sounds like the same problem I experienced.   On my box with six Atlas
II drives I could successfully update the firmware on all drives
except the boot drive.  I learned that I had to boot from a DOS floppy
and run the firmware update from A: (not from C:) to get the boot
drive to update properly.