Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2006 15:33:37 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memorystick usage on freebsd...now what:-)

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 06:59:37AM -0700, Dino Vliet wrote:
> Peeps,
>
> I bought this emtec usb storage device and plugged it
> into my freebsd6.1 laptop. Dmesg gives:
>
> umass0: vendor 0x13fe USB DISK 2.0, rev 2.00/1.00,
> addr 2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: < USB DISK 2.0 PMAP> Removable Direct Access
> SCSI-0 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 471MB (964608 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 471C)
>
> But now I'm lost....
> I want to mount this baby, but don't really know how
> to proceed. The handbook shows me to go to section
> 17.3, but there they talk about nasty looking
> commands. Can somebody get me up and running quickly?

17.3 is about partitioning and formatting - you don't need to do any of
that, since you;ve already been able to use the device on another machine.

> Can I remove the usb stick safely before mounting it?

You can safely remove it anytime it's not mounted.

> I already used it @work on windows to put some files
> on it so why won't the mount_msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt
> command not work in this case?

It's mount_msdosfs, but otherwise that should work.  I've seen devices
where the only partition showed up as /dev/da0s4, so it might be worth
checking which /dev/da0s* nodes were actually created, or run 'fdisk da0'
to see the partition table data.

HTH,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon