Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 10:13:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu (Christian)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pcemu problems..please help

>     I just installed pcemu and it seems to work fine except for one
> itty bitty problem.  I can't see any text!!???  When I start it up I
> get a pcemu window and the inside or background of the window is
> black, as it should be, but there is no text...all I see is a
> flashing dos-like cursor. When I do a simple command like "dir"
> (blindly) the cursor moves up as if it were scrolling a directory
> listing.  Is there something I am missing? I read all the relevant
> documentation and there is nothing in there about setting or changing
> the text color. I also installed the font that came with the emulator
> but that doesn't seem to help.  The system is a 486dx33 with 16Mb of
> RAM and is running XFree86 3.1.2 with the fvwm as my window manager.
> Oh one thing I did notice is that in the original 720k DriveA file
> that came with the emulator  I was able to see the text in the readme
> file that was red or yellow.  Another question I have about the
> emulator ....Is it possible to access a novell 3.12 or 4.1 network
> through the emulator, and if so is there anything out of the ordinary
> that I have to do to get this to work...?

I'll take a guess at this one.

I reported an X bug quite some time ago that was similar to this one;
it had to do with X acting incorrectly on XDrawImageString, which you
use to draw the background and foreground simultaneously.

This operation blew up when the font ascent and descent were 0 (Sun's
X server assumes that the ascent and descent should be calculated
from the bounding box in this case -- I think this is the correct fix
for the bug).

Check the ascent/descent in the font source and insure that it matches
the bounding box.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---