Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 18:01:49 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   imrss.org == Internet Mail Relay Services Survey Project

Anyone been scanned by this project lately?  I recently found this in my
logs:

Jun 12 16:21:21 ns sendmail[45607]: QAA45607: ruleset=check_rcpt,
arg1=<recipient@imrss.org>, relay=[199.0.22.2], reject=550
<recipient@imrss.org>... Relaying denied
Jun 12 16:21:21 ns sendmail[45607]: QAA45607: lost input channel from
[199.0.22.2]
Jun 12 16:21:21 ns sendmail[45607]: QAA45607: from=<sender@imrss.org>,
size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, relay=[199.0.22.2]

So I went looking and found this at http://www.imrss.org/

  The Internet Mail Relay Services Survey Project is a self-funded
  all-volunteer project whose intent is to collect information
  regarding so-called Open E-mail Relay Servers on the Internet.

And not surprisingly this also say this:

 MRSS considers the process of passing a single small message through a
 publically available E-mail server as being neither intuitively nor
 obviously offensive to the actual owner of that E-mail
 server, nor fundamentally different from the process of cataloging a web
 site (as currently performed on a daily basis by any number of popular
 web search engines).
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/