Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:45:46 +0100
From:      David Larkin <David.Larkin@djl.co.uk>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: converting MS Excel files to some more readable format

Chris Shenton wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:46:26 +0000, David Larkin <David.Larkin@djl.co.uk> said:
>
> David> HI, Are there any utilities out there to convert MS Excel files
> David> to some more readable format.  Excel2xml ?  Excel2txt ?
>
> I haven't used it yet but it looks like it will do the job:
>
>   http://www.gate.net/~ddata/xlHtml/index.htm
>
> Converts excel to HTML, minus Window-specific brain-damage. Should
> recover most of the actual data content without the fluff.

Thanks for the replies.

I was aware of Star office, but I'm not looking
to run Exel or any other spreadsheet. I want a utility
to extract the table values, and write them out in a comma
seperated format, which I can then manipulate in PERL.
Preferably something I can place in a pipe.

I'm not looking to load xls files into a package, then do "save as"
from the GUI. I could just as easy do that using Excel on a WINTEL box.

The utility Chris mentions above sounds promising. But the build
didn't work first time.

Another option I found is called herbert, it can be found at
http://wwwwbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~schwartz/perl/
It converted my test data to something sensible in HTML.
Its written in PERL, so it should be possible to simplify
the output to drop the HTML tags.

David Larkin