Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 21:45:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Queen Rusty <isis@cockatoo.aus.org>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape Communicator 4.02b7

On 31-Aug-97 Peter Korsten squawked:
>Kenny Hanson shared with us:
>>
>> [original question was whether Netscape 4.02b7 was thinned out]
>>
>> I'm afraid not.  It comes with just about everything that installs
>> with NT or 95.  The .tar.gz file is 7,132,310 bytes in size (yikes!).
>
>Something very scary: Netscape 4.02 works pretty fine on my 16 Mb
>machine with Windows 95, but is hardly useable due to the large
>memory consumation with FreeBSD 2.2.2 and Xfree86.
>
>'Top' shows that Netscape takes some 13 Mb Mb memory (YIKES!).
>
>- Peter
I was thrilled to see a freebsd netscape as well, but have gone back to the
older unknown-bsd version ( I believe BSDi). In some cases in top the numbers
were 18M/6M+ , and it was noticeably slower than the older version. I wish
there was a 3.0x freebsd-netscape

Luke

-----
Queen Rusty <Moluccan Royalty> and her subjects:
Ruckus and Zorro <U2s>, Lil Guy and Joey <tiels>,
Cassidy <Jardine>, Jen and Luke <humans>,
and 4 cats...
http://kawaii.aus.org/~hendrix