Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 21:24:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Chris Odom <chris@digitech.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Device not configured.

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Chris Odom wrote:

> 	I'm trying to use Kermit on my FreeBSD box.  I have a modem on COM2, which I assumed
> to be /dev/cuaa1.  Whenever I try to "set line /dev/cuaa1", it says "Device not configured".
> 	What do I have to do to make the operating system configure the device correctly to
> recognize that there is a modem sitting on COM2?

Should be done, unless you used the "-c" boot option to disable
ttyd1/cuaa1.  Take a look at the output of dmesg, make sure you have sio1
set up.  Are you using the generic kernel, or did you configure and build
your own?  That error message "device not configured" doesn't mean it
doesn't exist, it means the kernel hasn't been set up in software to
handle it.

Remember that sio1 is the driver, but it allows for the devices
/dev/ttyd1 and /dev/cuaa1.  You might also try deleting those devices and
rebuilding them with the script /dev/MAKEDEV, which is handy in building
devices.  It's possible your major/minor device numbers (which identify
to the kernel which drivers you mean) could be scragged.

> Thanx,
>
> Chris Odom

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |