Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:33:29 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mandatory locking?

At 11:29 AM -0400 8/23/99, Chuck Robey wrote:
>I think mandatory locking should exist, but only be available to root.
>If a program needs this, it must run with root privs, so that ordinary
>users cannot wedge the machine, but (as usual) root can shoot himself
>in the foot (traditional Unix methodology).

I don't think we want to force people into running their program as
root just to get mandatory locking.  Perhaps there would be a program
with root-privs which would have to be run to register files which
will have mandatory locking, but the program which manipulates those
files shouldn't have to run as root.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute