Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 12:37:09 +0200
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up! config(8) changes..

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 10:46:41PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

>> Someone who would help me driving ppbus, yes. I didn't have enough time
>> last months.
>
>Do you expect that the situation will improve, or do you feel you need
>to hand it over to a new maintainer?

The situation shall improve. But I'd like to keep time to manage iic/smbus
a bit more closely. What takes time is not the development, but answering
to questions, track bugs, fix them... the second live of the software.

I don't have time for both, especially when the whole operating system is
changing very fast like it did last few months, breaking all development
tools (ether/netboot, elf/aout, gdb...). I stop here :)

Most of the framework is ready to work. Just some fixes and more testing
are needed for the topics mentionned later (excepted ECP support which needs
more work).

>> 	- fix ppc probe bugs with recent mainboards
>
>I think that this needs to wait on the PnP hooks into the resource
>manager.  If the chipset probes are killing something, I'd wager that
>the something in question is mentioned in the PnP data.
>
>> 	- sync -current and -stable
>
>This would be handy, and could probably be achieved easily.
>
>> 	- test plip in depth
>
>That'd be useful.
>
>I would add
>
>        - Improve ECP/EPP performance if possible.

What do you mean here? PLIP? Then yes. I was in contact with the Linux part
for this. We'll have to look at there protocol choices.

>        - Add/finish bidirectional ECP printer support.

Shall not be too hard with an ECP printer. Most of the needed routines are
already in the ppbus framework. But I'm afraid that it will lead to the
rewrite of lpt driver, not a bad thing though.

>> I think there is more to do with making ppbus more and more stable than
>> bringing new capabilities to it yet.
>
>That's certainly a worthwhile perspective.  What can we do to help you?

Thanks. I can't afford both developments and ppbus support. Peter proposed
me some help for the newbus port (removing linker_sets). I still need manpower
for the support (I know this may not be the finest part of the advanture) and
the plip extensions if requested by the FreeBSD community (may not be mandatory
with cheaper network cards and USB...). And finally find an ECP printer around.

>--
>\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
>\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
>\\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Nicholas

--