Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:28:11 -0400
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "Bob Kot" <bobkot@gci-net.com>, "herk" <herk@cwnet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCI modems

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:13:06 -0700, Bob Kot wrote:

>>Could anyone tell me if FreeBSD 4.2--my CD release--supports PCI
>>modems, and, if they are supported, recommend one know to be working?
>
>I have the ActionTec...on an Abit KT7-Raid mother board
>
>from dmesg...
>sio0: <ActionTec 56k FAX PCI Modem> port 0xd400-0xd407,0xd000-0xd0ff,0xcc00-0xcc
>ff mem 0xda000000-0xda0000ff irq 5 at device 13.0 on pci0
>
>I've had very poor results and consider this modem unusable on FreeBSD.
>I've tried it on 4.1-RELEASE 4.2-RELEASE 4.3-RELEASE and a couple of
>versions of -current and similar bad results in all cases.
>ppp logs HDLC errors. The connection stays up but packet loss gets
>so excessive and re-transmission gets so bad that thru-put grinds
>to an unusable level.

best thing to do it to stick with 3com/usr modems.  i have two external
sportster 56k with out problems.  and stay away from anything that says
"Winmodem" or "for windows only".

when it comes to modems, generally a $20 modem wont work very well
compared to a $100 modem :(

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net