Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:14:10 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Mark Alli <mark@bodkin.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba

Mark Alli (mark@bodkin.com) wrote:

> I have a network running FreeBSD,Linux and Windows. My problem is I have a
> shared printer attached to a Windows NT 4.0 machine and I want to print to
> it from FreeBSD and Linux machines. I have already set up the printcap file
> and created a directory for the new printer ie P4, and restarted lpd, the
> "lock" and "status" files were created, and when I do a teslprn everything
> is fine. My problem is, when I try to print I get the error "job could not
> be printed". What am I doing wrong.

This does not really answer your questions, but:

I always found it much simpler to *not* use samba for this particular
setup. You have to install (and start) TCP/IP Printing
Services on the NT machine, and then your FreeBSD machine can 'see'
the Windows NT machine as just another Unix machine with an lpd
server.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com